Fruh Kolsch AlkoholFrei




Fruh Kölsch is an alcohol free German Pilsner.  This beer is 0.0% .  It is brewed in Cologne and in fact the name Kolsch is protected by law and only beers brewed in the city can be given the name.


This beer is brewed to it's noprmal strength and then has the alcohol removed so keeps much of the flavour of its 4.8% cousin.

Brewery: Fruh              

Beer: Kolsch 0.0

Style: Kölsch                                  

Country: Germany


Kölsch Beer is a beer brewed in the City of Cologne and is rarely seen outside the city The beer is Top-fermented and more like an ale than a traditional Pilsner.  The Kölsch is best drunk from tap and it is said that when it is bottled and pasteurised  a lot of the original flavour can be lost.

AF Beer Explorers Thoughts

This beer pours incredibly clear with a light yellow colour.  There is a very malty sort of hop smell to it.  Im not a big fan of pilsners but as they go this one is pretty decent.  It has a good malty flavour too it and a nice crisp finish.  As with lots of pilsners this is quite gassy which isn't really something I'm a fan of but if you like the style I'm sure you will like this.  If I was given this to blind test I think Id be very hard pressed to work out it was alcohol free.

Final thoughts:  This is a very good attempt at an AF pilsner and if you are a fan of the style I highly recommend you give it a try.


Comments

  1. Hey Robin, I´m following AF Beer Explorer for a while - and I love it. I get great ideas about new beers. But let me please explain about the Früh Kölsch. The special thing with this beer: it is NOT a Pilsner. I am from Germany and believe me - Germany is full of Pilsner-style beers and other bottom-fermented beers. Kölsch is THE great exception. It's top-fermented, so it's an Ale. Kölsch is not the name of the beer - it's the name of the beer-style. Kölsch are regional beers, only brewed in the city Cologne. And real hard to get outside the area. It's said to be drunk from tap to get the original taste. Because if it is bottled, it needs to be pasteurized and looses a lot of its original flavour. So it's real, real special. But if I could reach one, I'll give it a try. Cheers. Rainer from Berlin, Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rainer. This is Tim I run the AfBeerExplorer twitter account. This blog is written by me and Henry (hoppyaf) neither of us are experts in the field and just write about the drinks we are having as a hobby. We are not linked at all to Robin and AF beer club apart from we like to drink the beers he sends.

      Thanks for the info on the beer didn't do my research properly before posting this one.

      I shall have a look at editing my review later on today to include this info.

      Once you have tried the Kölsch AF if you want I'd be happy to put a review up from you of it as well would be great to get a review from someone who is familiar with the original and from the country it is made.

      Thanks

      Tim

      Delete
    2. Eh Tim, sorry I'm so confused about the British AF Scene.
      Please correct me if I'm wrong.
      Sobersauce = Adam Uttley
      AF Beer Club = Robin Lomax
      Steady Drinker = Tom Hallett
      Right, so far ?
      And you are, Tim and Henry = AF Beer Explorer

      We don't have an AF beer scene in Germany yet. So I'm inspired by all these things happening in your country.

      Respect.

      Rainer



      Delete
    3. That's it apart from I'm AF Beer Explorer, Henry is HoppyAF but we both write articles on this blog.
      The scene is definitely taking off here in the UK and it's great to be part of it and seeing it grow.

      I have just added in a few more comments to the article to clarify the beer styles.

      Delete
  2. Hey Tim, I have many questions - concerning the British AF scene and more. And I've some things to say. I guess this blog might not be the right place to communicate. So if you're willing to exchange ideas. My email is bierberlin@gmail.com. This might be the start of an interesting conversation. Please give me sign - if you want...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Alcohol Free Exploration of Cardiff Pubs.

Guinness 0.0 Draught vs Big Drop Good Things Irish Stout