Expanding alcohol free cans




 

 have always been someone who has stored and enjoyed my beers at room temperature and as such my usual storage place for beers has been the cupboard with an occasional IPA or Lager going in the fridge.

Until recently this hasn't been a problem but since switching to AF I have had multiple cans (different brands) expand on me.  I have seen this happen to others too in some cases it has been so bad that thier beer has actually exploded in the cupboard and taken the top off the can.

Sometimes it has happened so badly that beers have had to be recalled by the brewery.

Now I'm no expert on this but believe this is usually caused by leftover yeast getting into the cans and a secondary fermentation occurs causing a carbon dioxide billed up and this causing excess gas and eventually the can to be put under so much pressure it expands.  This doesn't tend to be a problem in beers that have been pasteurised as the pasteurisation process would kill off anything that would cause secondary fermentation.


Beers are best kept cold this stops the hops from fading and also slows down any secondary fermentation and any other unwanted processes going on inside the can. 

I have recently been told that 

If you store your beer at 3 degrees it will be at its best for 300 days

If you store it at 22 degrees it will be at its best for 30 days

If you store it at 32 degrees it will be at its best for 3 days

 
Most houses will be in the 18-20 range so at that temperature you’re looking at 60 days max before impairment. 

This is true for both alcohol free beers and ones containing alcohol. 

From now on I am going to not keep so many beers at home so I can fit all I have in the fridge to hopefully prevent any further issues with any of my cans.   Might need to purchase myself a beer fridge 🤔


On a final note I'd just like to say a big thanks to all the breweries I have reported the issue too.  They have all been great to deal with and provide either store credit or replacement beers for the ones that have had any issues. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Alcohol Free Exploration of Cardiff Pubs.

Fruh Kolsch AlkoholFrei

Guinness 0.0 Draught vs Big Drop Good Things Irish Stout